Student Employment

Getting Started

1. Am I eligible for Federal or Tufts Work Study jobs?

  • Yes if you receive financial aid AND it's included in your package. Check your Financial Aid Award.
  • No if you do not receive financial aid OR if it's not included in your Financial Aid Award Notice.

2. Look for jobs!

  • Go to JobX.
    You'll find both work-study and non work-study positions, and both on and off-campus jobs.
    Make sure you use all the search functions!

  • Check out TuftsLife

  • Scour the bulletin boards around campus, Medford, Davis Square, etc.

3. Apply for jobs!

  •  Submit online applications on JobX. Contact the employer directly for jobs found elsewhere. Don't delay!

 4. If you have an on-campus job, complete all “Conditions of Hire” forms

  • First time working on the Tufts campus? Fill out the paper ePAF student worksheet your employer will give you.

    • Be on the lookout for an email from Human Resources Service Center. You'll need the access information for Employee Self Servce. Complete the following forms online by your first day of work:

      1. Direct Deposit Information - you'll need a bank account and routing number

      2. W-4 and M-4 tax withholding forms

      3. I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification
        IMPORTANT: Within 3 business days of your hiring, bring an acceptable form of ID to Student Services in Dowling Hall on the Medford Campus (M-F, 1-5pm) or the Office of Student Affairs on the Boston Campus. You won't be paid until you do this! Acceptable forms of ID are listed by the U.S. Government - scroll to page 9. If you don't complete this step within 3 business days, your job is "termed" and you will have to start the entire process (re-applying, re-submitting the ePAF, etc.) all over again!

  • Already worked on campus before? New or second job in a different department?

    • If you're already in the system (i.e. you've turned in all the above forms once before) your new employer just needs to complete an ePAF for the new position. 

5. If you have an off-campus work study job, additional steps!

  • Remember, off-campus work study jobs can ONLY be at community service, non-profit, or literarcy organizations.

  • Your supervisor needs to send the Student Employment Manager a detailed description of your position, including what your duties and responsibilities will be.

  • Make an appointment with the Student Employment manager (by calling Student Services at 617-627-2000) to discuss the approval of your job.  When making the appointment, be sure to state that the meeting will be to request approval of an off-campus work-study position.

  • If this is your first time working through Tufts student payroll, complete all forms in step 4 above.

  • Double check to make sure you've completed the steps found on this information sheet.

  • Students with a work study job at the Museum of Fine Arts or Museum School graduate students : please be sure you complete all the steps outlined on this information sheet.

6. Submit your hours to your supervisor on a weekly basis.
Otherwise, how will Tufts know how much to pay for your good work?


Information about Forms

Employment Eligibility Verification Form (I-9)

Every student employee must complete the student portion of the I-9 form online through Employee Self Service. The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 requires proof that employees are eligible to work in the United States. This law applies to citizens and non-citizens. An I-9 Form needs to be completed only once during an employee’s tenure at Tufts unless he/she leaves the University for more than one year or his/her authorization to work has expired. Remember, you are responsible for Section 1 of the I-9 Form and proper identification documents must be presented.

Direct Deposit Enrollment Form

The University will pay all student employees exclusively via direct deposit. Students can have their net pay directly deposited to a checking or savings account at any financial institution they choose, provided that the bank is a member of the automated clearing house (ACH) network. The Human Resources Service Center pre-notes all requests for direct deposit. Pre-noting is an electronic test to the financial institution to verify the transit-ABA #, account #, and name on the account. During this process, a check is rendered and can be retrieved in person at the front desk of the Student Service Center (M-F, 9am-5pm) for Medford campus students, at the Bursar/Cashier office in Posner Hall for Boston campus students, and directly from the departments for Grafton campus students. After the first paycheck, students will receive an eSEND (electronic statement of earnings and notification of Deposit). eSEND is an electronic (email) notification of payment of wages. This system is in lieu of receiving a paper direct deposit stub. Please check the 13-14 Student Employment Manual for more details!

W-4 Form

The W-4 Form is used for declaring tax withholdings for both the federal and state governments. It should therefore be read and completed carefully online. Incomplete documentation (missing paperwork or forms filled out incorrectly) will be returned to the hiring department. If the employee would like to claim a different state withholding than their federal counterpart, a Form M-4, Massachusetts Employee’s Withholding Exemption certificate, would be required.

  Financial Services - Student Employment Office, Dowling Hall 7th Floor, Tufts University, Medford, MA,  02155  |  Tel: (617) 627-2000  |  Email