Tufts UniversityBursar



How to Request a Refund

Log into iSIS and select "Request Refund" on the Bills & Balances tab. If a valid credit balance exists on your student account you will be able to submit the refund request for processing. Approved refunds will be electronically deposited into your bank account on your eBill/eRefund account within 7-10 business days of your request.

Federal Funds Authorization

Federal regulations require that we refund to you all federal aid in excess of required charges. In order for Tufts University to apply your federal aid (PELL Grants, SEOG, Perkins Loans, Federal Direct Loans, Parent PLUS Loans, Graduate PLUS loans) to non-allowable charges, you must grant Title IV authorization before your federal aid is disbursed. Granting this authorization will help prevent outstanding balances from remaining on your account after a refund is processed. The Title IV authorization can be found within the Bills & Balances tab in the iSIS portal.

Allowable charges include: tuition, mandatory fees and room and board.

Non-allowable charges include: medical insurance, parking fines, JumboCash, health services fees, and other   miscellaneous fees.

Without authorization it is possible that you will have a balance on your student account after your federal aid is applied. For example: you are billed $15,000 in tuition and mandatory fees as well as the health insurance charge for $2,000. Your total charges are $17,000. You receive federal aid in the amount of $17,000. Since you chose to accept the health insurance but have not authorized Tufts to utilize your federal aid to pay this charge, you will be issued a refund of $2,000. However, you will now owe Tufts $2,000 to pay for your health insurance. With Title IV authorization your account balance would be $0. Title IV authorization is not mandatory, but once granted, it will last throughout your time at Tufts.

Refund Policy

Refunds will be processed only when an actual credit appears on your account. If the amount of your credit consists of an expected source of funding, such as an expected Direct Loan or an expected state or Pell Grant, your refund will not be processed until those funds are received or finalized. You may receive a partial refund of funds actually received. (Be sure to submit another refund request for the balance of your credit.)

If there is no bank account activated for electronic refunds on your eBill account, you will receive a refund check in the mail from our vendor. Therefore, it is advisable to enable your bank account for electronic refunds so that you may receive your funds faster.

If your student account is being paid through a Tuition Payment Plan administrated by Sallie Mae, no refunds will be given until all payments are received from the Tuition Payment Plan administrated by Sallie Mae for the semester.

For information regarding the tuition refund plan administered through Dewar, please see this link: Dewar's Tuition Refund Plan.

Stop-Payments on Student Refund Checks

If you lose a student refund check or your check is lost in the mail, you will need to come to the Student Desk at Dowling Hall, email Student Services, or call Student Services at (617) 627-2000. A stop-payment will be placed and we will reissue the check. Tufts University is charged by our bank for stop-payments. A fee of $25.00 will be charged to your account for the stop-payment.

  Tufts University, Dowling Hall, Student Financial Services, 419 Boston Ave, Medford, MA, 02155  |  Tel: (617) 627-2000  |  Email